12.13.2010

flypaper 2: electric boogaloo

y'know when I was whining about this city being made of flypaper? I wondered if maybe I was being too harsh or complaining about something that wasn't really so bad; maybe I was wrong, I thought.

NO. I WAS SO RIGHT.

I thought at first that maybe I was being too snobby, thinking the city was beneath me. but seriously. things people from out of town have said to me about this job:
  -"when do you start?"
  -"my [relative] lives there and loves it."
  -"madison is a great place."
  -"will you still be here when I visit my family for the holidays so we can hang out?"
things people from here have said to me about this job:
  -"madison... where?"
  -"wowww, have you been there before?"
  -"how are you getting there?" (um...)
  -"how long of a drive is that??"
  -"do you have family there or something?"
  -"are your parents going to move out there then?" (?!)
  -"I don't think I could handle the weather there..." (...what.)

tl;dr = people here cannot fathom the idea of leaving, and they treat all those who do as pilgrims setting off to return the one ring to mordor. (that being said, I will not be simply walking into madison.)

No comments: