open-mindedness is always a good thing, it seems. turns out a lot of people love the spanish speakers; hopefully they'll also love this particular one :D I've found a really cool company that has a strong emphasis on community service and helping customers IRL, which is awesome. it gives me a lot of hope to know that places like that exist, and that they want people with my major, which I was beginning to worry had confined me to teaching and translating. so it seems there may be good things on the horizon. ...hopefully leading to re-creating the crazy apartment from last summer in madison :D
as for the title of the post, I swear this entire city is made of flypaper. you can't leave, and you are hopelessly naive to ask someone from here to help you leave. some version of this conversation is inevitable: "I know people around here, what kind of work are you looking for?" "um, work that is somewhere else." "oh, you don't like it here??" ".....no." "hmm. well... you could work at [local company], it's a foot in the door!" more like a foot on the flypaper if you ask me, and it only takes one foot to get you stuck.
*disclaimer: I'm not actually down about this, it's just a bizarre local phenomenon I've been noticing--people are shocked to hear of anyone that doesn't want to settle down here, and they can't imagine living anywhere else. I begin to wonder about a city-wide case of stockholm syndrome...
No comments:
Post a Comment